After reading this article you will be able to:
- Some of the essential protocols are the following :
- Looking at devices that help in the working of the Internet :
A Brief Understanding of the Internet
In this day and age, the world cannot do without the Internet. Every activity that influences human life also includes the work of the Internet. Hence, the Internet proves efficient in many ways. Starting from checking the climate and weather changes, checking the level of the stocks after every second, staying in touch with your loved ones, gaining knowledge about new concepts, answering questions, and the list of its prominence and significance in our lives goes on. In a nutshell, if there were no internet, life and human activities would have been entirely different.
Various people come together and form a part of a social community. Similarly, data and records in some computers come together to create what is called a "network." These data and records are inter-connected, which helps in making a network. The Internet hence can be considered to be a group of networks that are intertwined and connected.
Due to these interconnected networks, computers are connected, thus enhancing and easing communication across the world. It is all because of the Internet. The Internet and the vast number of networks is the reason you can video call someone who may be 1000 miles away from you.
In 2021, there is no lack of wireless connections. However, when the Internet was a new concept, connections made were mainly through wires and cables. That would eventually conduct electricity called bits. The term 'bits' identifies the speed of the internet connection. The more bits are moving through the cables; the faster is your internet speed.
Most Important Concepts of the Internet:
- There is no central network present. Hence, it means that no one device controls the Internet. Any device around the world that has a network can have the Internet. This concept is considered distributive networking.
- This distributive nature of the Internet is what keeps it going and not crashing. Any device can switch off and disconnect to the Internet, and no way will the Internet be harmed.
Packets and Protocols on the Internet:
Packets and Protocols are two of the most significant functions of the Internet.
Packets – In simple words, Packets are small parts of a larger message. The packets have the information and the data of the said data. The packet data information is for the receiving machine to know what to do with the packet.
In cases where data is transmitted through the Internet, the said data will go out as small parts, then translated into bits. This data travels to the receiving machine through various networks, switches, and routers. This way, the other person can see the data displayed on their device.
Packet Switching refers to the concept that allows the packets to be sent across the Internet. If there are better quality routers, they can process data in packets directly without knowing the destination. It is done in such a way that there is no central connection in charge of the network. If there were no packet switching, only two devices would use the Internet at a particular time instead of an unlimited number of people.
- Protocols – This refers to doing things and taking actions that can help create a connection. The communication techniques between the computers have to be understood by all connected computers to form a network. This standardized way to make a form of communication and understanding between devices refers to the Protocols on the Internet.
Some of the essential protocols are the following :
- Ethernet – for sending packets between devices on the same network.
- IP – called Internet Protocol, is used for sending data from network to network.
- TCP – Transmission Control Protocol, used for checking if the data(packets) have arrived safely.
- HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protocol, used for formatting data for websites and applications.
Looking at devices that help in the working of the Internet :
Here are some of the devices and hardware that are essential for the working of the Internet.
- Switches – Switches form a connection between the devices that have a single network. Packet switching transfers the data to the right devices. The switches help in receiving packets from outside and sending them to the accurate device.
- Routers – Routers forward data to other computer networks based on where they have to do. They make sure that the traffic goes to the right networks.
- Web Servers – Specially designed computers that save content along with hosting applications and databases. These are kept in centers and found around the world.
Understanding how websites access the Internet
As mentioned before, the data is traveling through packets converted into bits. These packets travel through routers and switches to the computer devices. The device receives the data, and the browser goes through the data to display the information.
There are specific steps involved, which include the following
- DNS Query
- TCP Handshake
- TLS Handshake
- HTTP Request
- HTTP Response
How you can contribute towards a better and safer internet
When the Internet came into being, it was considered a revolutionary achievement and a discovery unseen before. Due to a lot of hard work by people and organizations, networks formed. All of which have helped better communication keeping the Internet alive. However, there are a bunch of harmful activities happening daily that are adversely affecting the Internet.
Now, the mission is to work towards better security and achieve some of the following goals
- The working of newer, faster, better, and more secure protocols for the Internet.
- User privacy to be the most crucial goal, and providing more security by choosing DNS over HTTPS.
- The introduction of ‘serverless’ applications provides better servers for the users.
- More emphasis is on educating the mass about how the Internet works and how to remain secure while being on the Internet.
- Bringing about the largest network server for a global audience, thus helping the entire world.
The Internet has evolved over the years and continues to grow. It has increased the ability to communicate, connect and share. The access to information, knowledge, and education is endless through a massive library from millions of websites that make the world wide web.